Python Programming Language is a general-purpose interpreted, interactive, object-oriented, and high-level programming language. Python Source code is available under the GNU General Public Licence (GPL) and it is Maintained By a core Development Team at National Research Institute.
Python was initially Developed By Guido van Rossum at National Research Institute for Mathematics and Computer Science in the Netherlands during 1985-1990. Python is Derived from Many other languages, Including ABC, Modula-3, C, C++, Small Talk, Unix shell and Other Scripting Languages
Guido Van Rossum was inspired by Monty Flying Circus, a BBC comedy Series and he wanted the name of the new Language to be short, unique and mysterious . Hence he named his New Developed Language As Python.
Advantages of Python :
- Simple and Easy To Learn – Python is a Simple programming language with few keywords, simple structure and clearly Defined Syntax. It makes Python simple and easy to learn.
- Interpreted & Interactive – Python Program do not need to compile Because it is an interpreted programming language. And it has an option interactive mode which allows users to interactive testing and debugging of Code.
- Object-Oriented – Python is a High-level object-oriented programming language , Hence it supports Object-oriented programming concepts (OOP’S) that encapsulate code within the object, danta hiding, operator overloading, inheritance etc.
- Portable – Python can run on a wide variety of hardware and software Platforms and it has the same interface on all platforms . It is available for all variants of Operating System Eg- Linux, Unix, Windows, Macintosh.
- Scalable – Python provides better structure for large programs than Shell scripting . Python can be used as a scripting language or can be compiled to bytecode for building large applications .
- Extendable – Python interpreter allows users to add low level modules. These modules allow users to add or customize their tools to be more efficient. It can be easily integrated with C, C++, COM, ActiveX etc .
- Dynamic – Python supports High-Level dynamic data types and Dynamic type checking. It also supports automatic Garbage collection.
- GUI Programming – Python Support GUI application That can be created and ported to many libraries and platforms.
- Database – Python provides interfaces for all major commercial databases.
- Broad Library – Python library is portable and cross platform compatible on Unix, Linux, Windows, Macintosh .
Disadvantage of Python
- Speed: Python is an interpreted language and is slow as compared to C/C++ or Java. Unlike C or C++ it’s not closer to hardware because Python is a high-level language.
- Memory Consumption: For any memory intensive tasks Python is not a good choice. Python’s memory consumption is also high, due to the flexibility of the data types.
- Runtime Errors : Python programmers face several issues regarding the design of the language. This language requires more testing and also it has errors that only show up at runtime this is because the language is dynamically typed.
- Simplicity: shifting to a new language from Python gets difficult as the user finds it difficult to adjust to its vulnerable nature and takes everything on a light note.
- Python is a robust programming language and provides easy usage of the code lines, maintenance can be handled in a great way, and debugging can be done easily too. It has gained importance across the globe as computer giant Google has made it one of its official programming languages.